The Ministry of Church Ushers
Spiritual Qualifications of Church Ushers
Ushers in church aren’t just door holders and plate-passers. They serve in a spiritual role and therefore should exhibit some spiritual characteristics. The qualifications of an usher aren’t clear in the Bible, but there are some qualities that great ushers will have.
The fruit of the spirit found in Galatians 5 is a solid guideline for a good usher. This is not about perfection, but a heartfelt motive and desire to live a life of a spirit-filled believer.
- Love If you choose to genuinely love the people you serve as an usher, God will bless your actions.
- Joy – Take God seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously. Lighten up and enjoy the moment. Your spirit will be contagious to others.
- Peace – You can add peace, calm, and order to what might otherwise be an overwhelming and hectic experience.
- Patience – This is a great quality of a good usher. Most of us are impatient by nature. You can set a good example with your patience toward them.
- Kindness – This is the attitude that makes you approachable as an usher. Going the extra mile can make all the difference in the world!
- Goodness – The inner quality of goodness is a gift that results from the Holy Spirit’s power working within us. This state of being will naturally spill over into your service and bring an intangible but powerful presence into the worship experience.
- Faithfulness – Faithfulness as a Christian bleeds over into your faithfulness as an usher. Showing up, being responsible and doing your ministry well matters to everyone.
- Gentleness –The best usher is a humble one who seeks to put others first no matter how much pressure may be present in the moment.
- Self-Control –It’s under the pressure of hectic moments and last minute changes that your grace and self-control will shine.
Please click HERE to see ushering opportunities.
A signup sheet is also available in the office. If you have any questions, please contact:
Kris Bartelt, Worship Coordinator at email@example.com
Sundays 9:15am in the Parlor read on
Welcome to another exciting faith-filled year of Church School at First Presbyterian Church. Kick-Off Sunday, the first day of Church School, will be held on September 9th from 9:15-10:15am in the Fellowship Hall. read on
The Mystery and the Majesty
The Christmas Cantata at First Presbyterian has and is a fun time for singers to gather for 12 weeks to prepare for sharing the Good News through music. The Christmas Cantata being planned for this year is “the Mystery and the Majesty” by Joseph M. Martin. From the jubilant glories to gentle manger lullabies, this inspirational cantata celebrates the wonder and splendor of Christmas! Traditional carols and newly composed seasonal anthems blend with thoughtful narration to help create a meaningful experience for our community of faith. Titles include: A Christmas Flourish; Carol of Longing; Advent Jubilation; The Coming Joy; Upon a Midnight Clear; A Call to Christmas Joy; Journey to Bethlehem; The Beautiful Impossible and A Noel Proclamation. We have professionally made CDs available for learning parts. We could use a few more tenors. Sign up sheet is in the music room or email Kris at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cantata rehearsals: Wed evenings Sept. 12th through Dec. 12th
Dress rehearsal Sat., Dec. 15th at 10:30am
Performance Sun., Dec. 16th during 10:30am worship service
Worship Coordinator, First Presbyterian
Thank You for Your Support of the Feed My Starving Children MobilePack Event – April 7, 2018 read on
Do you want to go to summer camp? read on
Welcome to First Pres. FDL’s Network Breeze is a password protected, member’s only resource that allows members to access a directory of the church members, to upload photos of themselves and family for the directory, and for people to access their own giving information. No one else can access that information and any who wish not to have their contact information visible can request to be blocked. But for most of us it is a handy way to be in contact with one another and access information about events, and activities.
We hope that you will find this a helpful resource for building our relationships as Christ’s community together.